Been A While, I Know

Hi guys! It’s your gal, Mel, back here after a long three months of going dark. And I won’t beat around the bush any longer; let’s get a few things out of the way, starting with—

1. It’s My Birthday!

Yep, it’s true! 14th January 2023, and I turn… fourteen years old.

It’s an official age reveal. I, Melody Vega, am a teenager, who writes your favourite stories. No kidding.

For my birthday, I tried a new art medium: sneakers! I painted (and gifted myself 😝) my own custom kicks, and here is a Deviation explaining the whole deal. It was a fun experience, and hopefully you'll be inspired to paint your own kicks!

(And a happy birthday to me, too. 🥳)

2. Sweep The Old, Adorn The New

As usual, I gave the blog a makeover too; not only with the colour theme and font, but I also cleaned up the sidebars and got rid of old links. Let’s ring in the New Year with this one!

3. An Important Announcement

I’m pretty sure everyone’s wondering: why did I not post anything here after September? What’s with the three-month hiatus?

So, after the fourth part of Reality Reel released, I decided to take a break, and focus on my real life. Along the way, I realised why I had taken it in the first place.

I had been suffering from writer’s block.

Specifically, from writing Reality Reel. Apparently, as we all thought, the book was going at a slug’s pace. Thus, after much deliberating and thought, I have decided to drop the devastating bombshell.

I will be discontinuing Reality Reel.

I know, it’s disappointing news for all of you. However, I have faith that the series will be up and running again. We just have to wait. 

Nevertheless, I know you all want some fresh content, RR or not. Thus, I have good news!

I will start a new series titled American Born Indian.

Here’s what it’s all about: 

Indian-American Jay Sharma has never known the land he descended from. When he ends up moving from New York City to Bengaluru, he is definitely unprepared for the kind of rigidity and rules at his new school (who knew phones weren’t allowed in a classroom!). Then there are people’s reactions to him being gay and living with his single mom. Soon enough, Jay is the centre of attention in this new country, and he feels torn between two worlds, not really fitting into either one. How can he be Indian when all he’s ever known is to squash his Indianness down to be accepted in America? 

But Jay learns Indian life isn’t so different from his American one; the people around him struggle with problems deeper and more complex than his own. And as he finds new friends and makes an amazing life in Bengaluru, Jay starts to accept being Indian and American at the same time.

A funny and poignant tale, American-Born Indian is about finding a part of your hidden identity in a new country, and bringing the best of it to life.

And that’s the story, folks! The first part will be released by the end of the month. I hope you enjoy this series as much as you enjoyed Reality Reel and The Jr. Pop Diaries.

Speaking of which… keep an eye out for my next Swift move (and focus on the re-record part) 😉

Signed,

Melody Vega

Comments