Vignettes of my Schooldays: #1

Monday wasn’t interesting
even for me,
Maybe the occasional unintentional joke
which cracks me up too much.
But otherwise
Monday has its blues
which colours the day
with different shades
and each shade shows
a different side
of the day.

On Monday,
Akshat is behind me
Manit on my right
Vedant on my left.
I’m surrounded by boys
one of them who is very troublesome
yet the other kids
find him nice.
I shake my head
and wonder whether I’d be able to survive
if I had a class like this.

Akshat keeps calling Manit
repeatedly
Manit calmly ignores him.
Then Akshat pokes me 
and I turn around
The teacher isn’t in class
so it’s fine.
He tells me to call Manit
and I see through his plot plainly
and tell him to bother me some other time.
But he takes it
like I meant it
and on Tuesday,
he still pokes me shoulder
asking me to call Manit
I tell him he is close enough
to call him.
I wish
he didn’t irritate me so much
but the irritations
are usual.

Monday is weird.
Aadita, Akshat and Manit
are talking about something
I didn’t understand.
I sat there listening
because my parents told me
to listen and observe.
Such a method
is called ‘neutral jing’,
where I listen and wait before doing
and then
out of the blue
one of them asks me,
“Maisha, slap Manit.”
I grin
and say,
“I’d take the chance
to hit any boy,
but we have protocols
and rules
which don’t allow me to.”
Akshat slaps his forehead
wondering why his classmate (me)
is so scared to hit someone.
But I am actually
not bold or brave enough
to literally hit someone.
Maybe I could use verbal gaffes
and defeat someone,
but I am not Katy in ‘Shang-Chi’
where I have the courage
to yell the lyrics
of ‘Hotel California’
in a bully’s face.
Or maybe I do.

Tuesday,
we have Chemistry
with Rema Ma’am.
One of my favourite teachers,
Rema Ma’am can make boring chemistry fun.
She has a lot of good jokes
which vary every class.
Today,
her new ones were
'The Rahul Mohanty’,
'My Name Is’,
'Shreyas’ Rathi’s brother’,
and some more.
I wonder
if Ma’am would give me a nickname
like she gave the other kids.
Maybe I’d like it to be
'Avatar Maisha’,
'Melissa Vega’,
or even
'Chotis’ Girl’
but I guess I am a bit too much
to be given a definite nickname.
I don’t have noticeable traits
like never showing up for class
or saying ‘my name is Maisha’ to answer a question
or having a well-known brother
or anything.
The teachers know
I am a writer,
but being a writer
so well known
that Rema Ma’am calls you
by your pen name
is not in my description.
But I hope to add it soon
and maybe
someday
everyone will know
Melissa Vega.

Comments